Zevia Ginger Ale Gingerbread Owl Cookies
Whip up the perfect no sugar added gingerbread cookies for your holiday celebrations!
Yields: about 16 cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together dry cookie ingredients in a mixing bowl. Fold in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until well combined and mixture gains a doughy consistency.
- Split up the dough in half. Place each half in between two layers of sheet of parchment paper on top. Flatten each half to about 1/4 inch thick with a rolling pin. Freeze for 30 minutes to make the dough easier to cut.
- When the dough is ready, take off the top layer of parchment paper. Cut 3 inch circles with a round cookie cutter.
- Place the cookies on the baking sheets with an inch between them. Save the remaining dough for decorating.
- To design them as owls, begin by sprinkling each cookie lightly with a little ground cinnamon. Use a size smaller circle cookie cutter to make almond “feathers.” Gently press it onto each side without cutting all the way through.
- Arrange the sliced almonds in the pattern of feathers, gently pressing them on the dough so it sticks. Overlap and alternate the slices with the points facing down.
- Take 1/2 tsp of the remaining dough, split it in half and roll into balls for the eyes. Press them down to attach them onto the cookies. Add 2 baking chips on top for the eyes. Add an almond pointing down for the beak. Leave off the talons for now. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Take the cookies out of the oven and add 2 talon sunflowers seeds on each side (4 per cookie). Make sure to do it while the cookies are still warm and soft.
- Let the cookies cool for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (we used finely ground)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup Zevia Ginger Ale
- 1/4 tsp liquid stevia or equal to 1/4 cup sugar
- 32 Lily’s Sweets dark chocolate baking chips
- 1/2 cup almond slices
- 64 naturally colored orange chocolate covered sunflower seeds
- ground cinnamon for sprinkling* (optional, to sprinkle on top for extra color)